Driver safety is very important to our NJ Mercedes dealership along with all Ray Catena dealerships. We want to make sure each and every one of you are practicing safe habits on the roads. We found the following article on Ezine and it really made us think about our driving habits. Please take the time to read these common mistakes people make while driving to reduce your risk of getting into an accident.
You can depend on Ray Catena Motor Car to provide you with useful information you need to buy a new or used Mercedes-Benz, and deliver exceptional service throughout the life of your vehicle.
Do You Make These Mistakes While Driving?
By Steve Luebke
When it comes to driving, there are a number of common mistakes the people tend to make from time to time that sometimes lead to dangerous or even fatal accidents. As a driver, It’s important to be aware of these common mistakes in order to reduce your risk of getting into a bad car accident. Here is an overview of some of the most common mistakes made by drivers on the road today:
1. Being overconfident despite poor weather conditions: Many drivers forget that poor weather conditions require you to drive more carefully than you would in ideal conditions. It’s extremely important to understand that you need to alter the way you drive when traveling during snow storms, rain storms, foggy weather, or on icy roads. The worst accidents are ones that occur as a result of people driving too fast through poor weather conditions. Driving too fast through a rain storm can lead to fatal accidents, because your ability to abruptly stop in time to avoid hitting another vehicle is greatly reduced. This is because of the fact that the surface of most roads changes depending on things like rain and ice. Always remember to pay attention to poor weather conditions, and be on alert for other drivers who might not be paying close enough attention.
2. Not paying attention to the road: Distracted driving is dangerous. Texting, emailing, talking, and even eating while driving can lead to dangerous accidents on the road. It’s important to remember that no matter how familiar you are with the route you take each day, you should still focus 100% of your attention on the road and your driving in general. The best way to ensure that you will have a safe driving experience is to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.
3. Following another vehicle too closely: It’s always important to keep your distance when driving behind another vehicle, especially when you’re traveling on highways. A good rule of thumb is to allow about one and a half to two cars of space in between you and the car in front of you. Allowing for this much space will prevent accidents from happening. When you have enough space in front of you, you have enough time to stop in the event of an emergency.
4. Not using lights: One of the biggest mistakes drivers make is not using lights when they should. As a driver, you should understand that it’s important to use your lights even if it’s not dark or raining. Having your lights on will help other drivers have an easier time seeing you, and can prevent you from getting in unnecessary accidents.
5. Driving aggressively: Driving aggressively can significantly increase your chances of getting into an accident. All drivers need to obey the rules and regulations of the road, as well as go out of their way to respect other drivers on the road. Driving aggressively on busy roads is dangerous. Make sure you always drive safely and within the speed limit of the road you are driving on.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Steve_Luebke